This post may contain affiliate links. I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you that goes towards supporting Fluffy Stitches. All opinions are my own. Full Privacy & Disclosure Policies HERE.
Crochet Lovely Heart Purse
Make this sweet little Crochet Lovely Heart Purse as a gift to someone important, whether it’s your Valentine, your best friend or show yourself some love and do it for you!
Valentine’s Day is coming. Shops start decorating everything in red and using lots of hearts. Whether you want to celebrate it or not, you can’t really escape it.
It wasn’t that long ago that I use to say that I was anti-Valentine’s Day, but age (or marriage 🙂 ) has changed my views a little. I’ve learned that it is best to accept some things rather than fight them and I have applied this philosophy to this day.
It is a day to celebrate love, but love has so many colors and shapes, so why look at it as a one-dimensional celebration? I see it now as a day to celebrate love for your partner, for your friends, for everything that makes your life better, and of course, the love for YOURSELF!
With this in mind, I have decided to make something for Valentine’s Day. I’m not sure yet if it’s for myself or if I will gift it to someone, but what matters is that it will make someone feel happier and appreciated! 😀
I am in a stash buster mood this year, so I wanted to use materials I already have lying around. Some time ago, I did a couple of tape yarn bags. I enjoyed working with the tape yarn due to its bulky weight. It just makes the project go so much faster! It is true that if you work it tightly, after a couple of hours your hands are a bit sore, but for a small project, it shouldn’t be a problem.
I was looking at my leftovers of a sandy-colored tape yarn. I also had an untouched skein in red. Seeing them together, it just looked like a match made in heaven!
With these colors and the amount of yarn I had, I decided on a small purse. Being a practical person (or so I like to think, my husband may disagree :D) it must have a strap and need something to close it with. This way it is perfect for grown-ups and kids alike! I’m in love already!
I hope you like this pattern. It is my gift to you, as my reader, so that you know that you too are appreciated and loved! 😉 Thank you!
- You can buy the ad-free, printable PDF pattern HERE!
- PIN this pattern for later HERE!
- Add this pattern to your Ravelry queue HERE!
Cheer up your Valentine with the sweet little Crochet Lovely Heart Purse. A small and practical purse that you can gift anyone, including yourself! Made with just single crochets in the round and chains, the bright red heart against the sandy color turns this project into the cutest gift.
Have in Hand
- 1 skein of Miss Kits Tape Yarn (87.5 yd/80 m) in Sand as color A or approx. 40.5 yd/37 m of another bulky weight, cat. 5 yarn
- 1 skein of Miss Kits Tape Yarn (87.5 yd/80 m) in Red as color B or approx. 11 yd/10.5 m of another bulky weight, cat. 5 yarn
- US Size L-11 (8.0 mm) crochet hook
- Stitch markers, tapestry needle, scissors
- (Optional) Snap Fastener (0.45’’/11mm)
- (Optional) Sewing needle and thread in color Sand
- 10 sts x 10 rows in sc: 4”/10 cm
- Width: 5.5’’/14 cm
- Height: 5’’ / 13 cm
- Strap: 39.25’’/100 cm
Abbreviations (US Terms)
- ch: chain
- sc: single crochet
- sl st: slip stitch
- st(s): stitch(es)
- The purse is worked from a foundation chain and then crocheting in the round until desired height. The strap is added later.
- The ch 1 at the beginning of the round DOES NOT COUNT as a st.
- Keep the st markers on the edges of the purse as you work your rounds to make st count easier
- For the heart, you can choose to follow the written instructions or refer to the chart.
- To make a color change, close the st before with the new color.
- Make fewer chs to make the strap shorter or add more chs to make the strap larger. Take into account that the strap will stretch over time.
- Because of the natural inclination of the stitches, after all rounds, the stitch markers may not look in the edges of the purse. You can block the purse to position or feel free to shift the position of the strap by one or two sts. The same principle applies to the placement of the optional snap fastener.
Crochet Lovely Heart Purse
With color A.
Round 1: Place marker in the last ch. Ch 1 (doesn’t count as a st), 2 sc in 2nd st from hook. Place marker in first sc. Sc in next 11 ch. 3 sc in next ch. Place marker in the 2nd sc of the 3 you just made.
You will make the next sts on the foundation chain on the opposite side you just worked, that is opposite the sc you have just made.
Sc in next 11 ch. At this point, you should have reached the ch with the marker. Remove marker and make 1 sc. Sl st in sc with the marker to join. <28>
Round 2: ch1, sc in the same stitch where sl st. Sc across. Sl st in st with the marker to join <28>.
Round 3: Repeat Row 2.
Start using the chart here if you prefer.
Ch 1, sc in the same stitch at the start of each round (not represented in the chart). After st 13, with color A, sc across until the end of the round and join with sl st. St count is <28> throughout. After Row 12, return to written instructions.
Round 4: ch1, sc in the same stitch. Sc in next 6 sts. Change to color B. Sc in next st. Change to color A. Sc across. Sl st to join <28>.
Round 5: ch1, sc in the same stitch. Sc in next 5 sts. Change to color B. Sc in next 3 sts. Change to color A. Sc across. Sl st to join <28>.
Round 6: ch1, sc in the same stitch. Sc in next 4 sts. Change to color B. Sc in next 5 sts. Change to color A. Sc across. Sl st to join <28>.
Round 7: ch1, sc in the same stitch. Sc in next 3 sts. Change to color B. Sc in next 7 sts. Change to color A. Sc across. Sl st to join <28>.
Round 8: ch1, sc in the same stitch. Sc in next 2 sts. Change to color B. Sc in next 9 sts. Change to color A. Sc across. Sl st to join <28>.
Round 9: ch1, sc in the same stitch. Sc in next st. Change to color B. Sc in next 11 sts. Change to color A. Sc across. Sl st to join <28>.
Round 10: Repeat Row 9.
Round 11: ch1, sc in the same stitch. Sc in next 2 sts. Change to color B. Sc in next 4 sts. Change to color A. Sc in next st. Change to color B. Sc in next 4 sts. Change to color A. Sc across. Sl st to join <28>.
Round 12: ch1, sc in the same stitch. Sc in next 3 sts. Change to color B. Sc in next 2 sts. Change to color A. Sc in next 3 sts. Change to color B. Sc in next 2 sts. Change to color A. Sc across. Sl st to join <28>.
End of Heart Section
Rounds 13-15: With color A, repeat Row 2.
Leave the st markers. Fasten off and weave in ends.
With color B.
Pull up a loop in one of the sts with st marker. Ch 100. Make sure the chain is not twisted and sl st in the other st with the st marker. Fasten off and weave in ends.
(Optional) Snap Fastener
With the thread, sew one side of the snap fastener on the inside of the bag, in the back of the middle stitches of Round 15. Align the second side of the snap fastener with the first. Sew it to the inside of the bag. Fasten off and weave in ends.
[…] to the pattern: Lovely Heart Purse, more info […]
This pattern appears in the round-up Accessories: Crochet Purse Ideas for Kids by CrochetAndHandiCraft.